Thursday, June 17, 2010

Arion Orchestra....one of North America's very best!



Although I adore Toronto's "Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra", I regard "Arion" as just one step better and they truly shine in their recordings on the "Atma" and "Early-music.com" labels. This is music making on the very highest level. They have recorded Vivaldi, Telemann, Rebel, Bach....etc. Recently at the "Tafelmusik Baroque Summer Institute's" third concert held at the University of Toronto, I had a chance to speak with the "First Lady" of the transverse flute: Claire Guimond. She was an instructor during the two week event, teaching the transverse to students who are graduates of their instrument(flute). What an amazing and elegant lady and performer. She could have charmed the pants off of me. I have heard her play live and in recording....I adore her! She is also a member of "Arion", a Montreal based period orchestra that personally I consider North America's finest period ensemble! In the beginning of the video clip, Claire is narrating and wearing headphones. She is a wonderful performer and human being, She has no greater fan that myself!

Please click on my site under Institutions I follow: "early-music.com" to find out about Arion and the recordings that I heartily recommend! Vive Arion! Bravo Claire Guimond!

No comments:

Post a Comment