Friday, April 8, 2011

Villa-Lobos - String Quartet no.1: Cantilena



There is unfortunately no complete performance by one group of this wonderful work on YouTube. So I did find six different quartets performing one movement each. This is a wonderful introduction to the huge cycle of string quartets by Villa-Lobos. In the first six quartets Villa-Lobos incorporated Brazilian colours and an incredible sense of being in the middle of the Amazonian rainforest all at the same time. The tragedy of these quartets is that they are seldom performed outside of Latin America.

This is glorious music, so please DISCOVER and ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, just lovely.

    I don't know if you are aware of my other blog, it is one that has stories of my mother's life and our family...some of it translated into English.

    http://cuentostiaeloi.blogspot.com/

    I know you have Trickle Down BS and From Top to Bottom.

    I write a lot better in Spanish.

    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete