Sunday, April 11, 2010

Heart warming music!



This is probably the one work for cello and orchestra that hits the heart in all the right places. The second movement's theme is totally unforgettable and has a certain nostalgic feel that defies all understanding. It should be noted that the composer had written the concerto some 20 years earlier and revised it in 1955. There is another Cello Concerto written I believe before the first concerto's revision(date unknown at this time).

Martinu is the only composer whose symphonies(6) are as a whole the most perfect in the history of Western music(in my opinion). First discovering them was a major epiphany in my life. They simply blew me away and at the time I was recovering the passing of my father(1981). They brought amazing joy and peace to a very troubled time of my life. This is a post for a very dear friend of mine as we have known each other for 37 years. This is for you, Mark.....hope you love it as much as I do!

I ADORE MARTINU'S MUSIC!!

No comments:

Post a Comment