Sunday, May 30, 2010

Des Knaben Wunderhorn



The other day I bought the complete Symphonies of Gustav Mahler conducted by Riccardo Chailly at the unbelievable price of $48.45! Quite extraordinary recordings as in all my years of loving these masterpieces, I have never heard them so sonically spectacular! Decca must be very proud of these performances. I have known Mahler's Symphonies for over fourty years and have heard many a conductor's recording. You name it, I've probably heard it. My favorite conductors include Tennstedt, Bernstein, Haitink, Sinopoli and more recently Boulez. Now I can include Chailly! I also bought "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" recorded on Decca with Chailly and Barbara Bonney and Matthias Goerne. Best recording ever....just don't throw away the Bernstein/Ludwig/Berry performance as it is also quite excellent! Overall the sound quality and interpretations are superior to most versions currently available.

However as regards the Third Symphony Chailly does NOT displace the Boulez recording which is totally beyond reproach.

My goodness....I think I've finally become a Mahler fanatic!

No comments:

Post a Comment